Department of Ophthalmology at the Kasturba Medical College, Manipal has been providing world class Ophthalmology services .Established in the late 1950’s, the department prospered into a center for excellence under the visionary leadership of Dr.P .N.Srinivasa Rao. The department has kept abreast with the latest technological developments and inventions in the field of ophthalmology having many firsts to its credit. Team of expert doctors who have specialized in various ophthalmic sub speciality strive to provide evidence based ,state of the art treatment to the patients along with undergraduate and postgraduate training and research activities .The community outreach programs in the form of surgical camps, school screening programs, diabetic retinopathy screening programs,awareness creation and public education are conducted regularly.
Neuro ophthalmology is a challenging ophthalmic sub specialty which deals with the ophthalmic
conditions caused due to neurological disorders. Being a multispecialty hospital along with the
department of neurology, neurosurgery and radio diagnosis KH Manipal has dedicated neuro-
ophthalmologists who cater to a wide range of neuro ophthalmic diseases.
Just like how a CHILD is NOT just a SMALL ADULT a child’s eye is not a small adult eye. The eye
disorders in children need special care. Qualified paediatric ophthalmologists and optometrists offer
a focused paediatric eye care.
- Pediatric cataract surgeries
- Strabismus surgeries
- Pediatric glaucoma surgeries
- Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) treatment
The Department has started new sub-specialty called ophthalmic genetics.
Inherited retinal dystrophies are a major cause of severe progressive vision loss both in adults and children. In collaboration with the medical genetics department, KASTURBA HOSPITAL, Manipal, the
department of ophthalmology will be able to serve the community in treating these genetic eye
In association with the optometry department we do facilitate low visual aid services to Udupi
district as well as the surrounding districts.
One of the first Vitreo Retina units of Karnataka /India. Qualified retina specialists at Kasturba
Hospital, Manipal offer advanced care for a wide spectrum of retinal diseases.
Oculoplasty and Dacryology
The Department of ophthalmology has been performing various oculoplasty surgeries from the past
four decades. Various lacrimal SAC surgeries, Eye lid surgeries, Cosmetic eye surgeries and major
orbitotomies are been performed.
- Visual acuity assessment in children
- Amblyopia assessment and therapy
- Visual rehabilitation in children
- Strabismus evaluation
Retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) treatment
- Fundus camera (Zeiss)
Non mydriatic fundus camera
- Fundus fluorescein angiography(FFA)-Zeiss
Optical coherence tomography (OCT)-Zeiss Cirrus
- OCT Angiogram- which helps in early and accurate diagnosis of various retinal and choroidal disorders like diabetic retinopathy,ARMD – Also enhancing the scope for research and early intervention
- Video indirect ophthalmoscopy
- B Scan ultrasound
- Laminar flow unit for tissue preparation
- Slit lamp with Aurolab Corniview for tissue evaluation
- Konan kerato-analyser Cell check D Specular microscope for evaluation and grading of the donor cornea
- Samsung Refrigerator with temperature control system for tissue storage
Aurolab cornisol media for tissue storage
- A 24*7 telephone hot line dedicated to receive eye donation calls
- IOL master
- Centurion vision system
Zeiss Lumera microscope
- Recording systems for teaching purpose
- Phacoemulsification with foldable IOL/Premium IOL/Toric IOL/Multifocal IOL
- Perkins tonometer
- Air puff tonometer
- Humphry visual field analyzer
- Ultrasound pachymeter
- Ultrasound biomicroscope (UBM)
- Daycare surgeries
- Optical coherence tomogram (OCT)Zeiss-Cirrus
- Anterior segment OCT
- Anterior segment photography
- Haag Streit Slit lamp
- Zeiss Anterior segment OCT for better understanding the corneal pathologies
Frequency doubled YAG laser
- Diode laser
- First center in India to have performed MIGS (Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery)
- Laser photocoagulation (slit lamp and indirect laser delivery)
- Frequency doubled YAG laser
- Anti VEGF and intravitreal steroid injections
- Photodynamic therapy(PDT)
With the aim to reduce the burden of corneal blindness, the Kasturba Hospital Eye Bank (KHEB), was set up in 1981 under the aegis of the department of Ophthalmology, KASTURBA HOSPITAL, Manipal. On April 6th, 2016, it received its re-registration under the Human Organ Transplantation Act. On 1st July 2019, it received the support of Sight life International, which is a USA based NGO that enables eye banking. KHEB is a full-fledged eye bank with a team of qualified transplant surgeons, eye bank manager, counsellors and technicians. Under the Hospital Cornea Retrieval Programme, KHEB collects cornea and scleral tissues from 5 hospitals in Udupi district enabling corneal transplants. Eye balls which are not eligible for transplants are effectively used for various research and development programs. KHEB team regularly conduct awareness activities regarding eye donation.
KHEB caters to districts like Udupi, Shivamogga, Davangere, South Canara, North Canara and Chikmagalur by collecting and distributing tissues like Cornea and Sclera.
Dr. Sulatha Bandary
Head of Department
Dr. Yogish S Kamath
Dr. Neetha K I R
Dr. Shailaja S
Dr. Sudha Girish Menon
Dr. Manali Hazarika
Dr. Soumya S